Bachelor's degree in Data Engineering
In recent years, data-oriented science, the engineering and scientific field that generates knowledge from data acquired via various sources, has become a leading field in the knowledge-rich industry and academia.
The Faculty of Engineering at Bar-Ilan University offers an innovative and up-to-date data science and engineering study program for students who excel in quantitative and analytical vision. Our data science-engineering program is dedicated to equipping students with the knowledge, skills, and ethical awareness required to excel in the dynamic and rapidly evolving field of data analysis and engineering. Our mission is to provide a comprehensive education that combines data science principles and engineering methodologies to address real-world challenges, drive innovation, and contribute to society.
Our program aims to provide a solid knowledge base, integrate data science and engineering, promote hands-on learning, ethical and responsible use of data, interdisciplinary collaboration, innovation, and problem-solving, effective communication and teamwork skills, research and industry engagement, lifelong learning, and a global perspective and preparation for future careers in the field.
By adhering to these principles, we aim to produce graduates who are both proficient in data science and data engineering and possess the analytical, technical, and ethical skills needed for efficient and computerized analysis and processing of signals and data in a way that significantly contributes to data-driven innovation, advancement, and social progress.
Data engineering studies with an emphasis on machine learning and statistical signal processing
The data-engineering program emphasizes machine learning and statistical signal processing in theory and practice. It provides graduates with modern tools for handling signals and data representing a variety of physical phenomena. The program also enriches its graduates with an in-depth understanding of the "data cycle" (data collection, processing, and analysis, drawing conclusions, and applying them to the accumulated knowledge), broad systemic engineering insight, and practical abilities in the core subjects of the soft sciences.
Advantages of studying data engineering at the Faculty of Engineering in Bar-Ilan
Students in the data engineering program can study with the best researchers and lecturers in data science and enjoy using advanced computing and teaching infrastructures. Program graduates can compete for leading positions in knowledge-intensive industries and technological units in the IDF and later integrate into research at leading universities worldwide.
For more information about data engineering studies or to register for degree studies in data engineering at Bar-Ilan University, contact us via the Contact Us page or by phone: 03-5317733 | Extension 1
The data engineering program is a four-year program based on four pillars:
- Extended mathematical background: Differential and integral calculus, extended algebra, logic and combinatorics, harmonic analysis, ordinary and partial differential equations, linear systems, signals and systems, optimization, and more.
- Computing and algorithmic skills: Introduction to programming and computers, data structures and databases, algorithms, object-oriented programming, Python programming, data engineering lab, cloud computing, distributed computing, online algorithms, and more.
- Signal processing, machine learning, and statistical inference: Probability theory, statistics, sensor signal processing, random processes, information theory, artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistical algorithms for signal processing and machine learning, deep learning, and more.
- Applicability: Modern and advanced implementation skills acquired in various laboratories for data analysis and statistical inference and through extended year-long projects in which creativity and independence are emphasized. Students may also opt for a unique track dedicated to diverse applications of data engineering in various fields of knowledge: bioinformatics, speech processing, natural language processing, intelligent cities, econometrics, cryptocurrencies, materials engineering, electro-optics, and more.
In addition to the applications track, students in the data engineering studies program must choose two specialization tracks (out of five possible) at the forefront of data science/engineering:
- Data engineering studies with a specialization in networks and communication: Communication networks, computers, and the Internet; information management in the network and cloud; mathematical analysis of networks; social networks; and more.
- Data engineering studies with a specialization in information processing and analysis and statistical learning: Students in this specialization track will enjoy guided and independent education, generative models, reinforcement-based learning, numerical algebra, time and frequency processing, multi-sensor signal processing, information fusion, and more.
- Data engineering studies with a specialization in computer vision and computer graphics: As part of this specialization track, students explore image processing, digital geometry processing, computer vision, optimization and understanding of shapes, and more.
- Data engineering studies with a specialization in optimization and algorithms: Students in this specialization study graph theory, online, distributed, advanced algorithms, cloud parallel computing, deep learning methods for texts and sequences, quantum machine learning, game theory, deterministic and stochastic models in performance research, and more.
- Data engineering studies with a specialization in information security and reliability: Students in this specialization study cryptography, safe calculation, safe programming, communication security, privacy-preserving information analysis, and more.
Employment prospects for data engineering degree graduates:
The unique data engineering program of the Bar-Ilan University’s Faculty of Engineering trains engineers in one of the most sought-after high-tech professions. Graduates of data engineering studies will acquire essential skills that can help them enter the knowledge-rich industry in various development and research positions. Possible positions include software development for data processing and analysis and statistical inference, development, ethics, and privacy considerations, modern algorithms for machine learning and signal processing from various sources (image, video, audio, medical signals, etc.), theoretical analysis of problems and performance evaluation, management, reliable and secure data storage and transferral, and many other functions.
Outstanding graduates of the undergraduate data engineering program will be able to integrate into the leading research universities in Israel and the world and carry out high-level academic research.