תרמודינמיקה של DNA
The goal of this project is to study the heat-induced transition of DNA from double stranded (ds) to single stranded (ss). The project involves improving the existing instrument for doing this, and then dong a series of measurements on the transition of dsDNA to ssDNA and back.
The students will be expected to do the following:
1. review the existing detection electronics, and rebuild the circuits on a printed circuit board (PCB)
2. improve the current Labview-based data acquisition system to include fully automated control of the process
3. verify that the instrument measures correctly
4. design a set of measurements that will help us to understand the phenomenon
5. analyze and document the experiments.
This project includes hardware (analog and some digital electronics), use of Labview, and study and analysis of an interesting and important biophysical phenomenon. The students will need to be able to read papers from the scientific literature which discuss DNA melting
Experience with electronics and Labview will be helpful.
Ingenuity, responsibility, and ability to solve problems are required.